As well as drink pairings to consider for your next football party!
Football season is here and that means it’s snack time! Are you hosting your friends for the first time and don’t know how to pair chips and their dips? Or, maybe you’re a seasoned hostess and just looking to shake things up? Either way, we have some of the best chip and dip pairing recipes and even which drink of choice would be the best option for that type of chip.
Potato Chips (the classic or wavy kind)
The best potato chip dip (thanks to www.deliciouslysprinkled.com)
- 2 (8oz.) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 (12 oz.) jar Heinz chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons onion salt
- potato chips
- In a large bowl, using an electric hand or stand mixer, whip cream cheese, chili sauce, and onion salt until creamy and smooth.
- Place dip in a covered container. Put in refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight before serving.
- Serve with potato chips and enjoy.
Potato chip drink pairing
The best alcoholic drink pairing is probably a Shiraz-Cabernet wine.
Cilantro lime dip (thanks to www.dizzybusyandhungry.com)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (I used light)
- 1 cup sour cream (I used light)
- 1 cup chopped cilantro (no need to be picky about getting all the stems out)
- 4-5 tablespoons lime juice (I like 5!)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, to allow all the flavors to combine.
- Serve as a dip with chips or bread, or use as a topping on fish, chicken, or hamburgers.
Tortilla chip drink pairing
The recommended alcoholic drink to pair with tortilla chips is, you guessed it, a Margarita! But, if you are not a fan then you may consider sauvignon blanc.
Fritos (corn chips)
Chili Skillet dip (thanks to www.tablespoon.com)
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons ranch dip mix (from 1-oz package)
- 1 can (15 oz) chili with beans
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ chopped green chiles
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
- 1 bag (9.25 oz) Fritos™ Scoops™ corn chips
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, stir cream cheese, sour cream and dip mix until completely combined. Spread in bottom of ungreased 8-inch ovenproof skillet. In the same bowl, mix chili and green chiles; stir to combine. Spoon over cheese mixture in skillet; top with Cheddar cheese.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbling on edges and cheese is melted. Coarsely crush 1 cup of the corn chips. Top with crushed corn chips and green onions. Serve with remaining chips.
Frito or corn chip drink pairing
A sauvignon blanc wine would pair nicely with Fritos or corn chips.
While many pretzels are paired with beer cheese, nacho cheese or spicy mustard you may want to consider something a little different.
Margarita Dip (thanks to www.taketwotapas.com)
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 8 ounces whipped topping
- 8 tablespoons butter (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup tequila or lime liqueur
- 1 tablespoon triple sec
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- lime zest (for garnish)
- Cream together the butter and cream cheese.
- Add in the triple sec and spirit of your choice (tequila/lime liqueur) and stir to combine.
- Add the powdered sugar.
- When all the above is combined, fold in whipped topping.
- Place in serving dish or store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Serve with salted pretzels.
Pretzel drink pairing
While I am sure there is a wine that would pair nicely with pretzels should you prefer it, the best option is a Brown Ale or an IPA.