If you have never tried fruit cooked on the grill then you are definitely missing out on this incredibly refreshing summer side or snack.
Grilled Fruit Kabobs Recipe
This is what I consider a “beginners” recipe to grilling fruit. It would be pretty hard to screw it up, though not impossible.
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup pineapple
- 1/2 cup watermelon
- 1/2 cup peaches
- 6 skewers
- Optional fruit for grilling: Strawberries, Grapes, Bananas, Kiwi
- Combine the honey, lemon juice, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Stir until combined. Microwave for 5 to 10 seconds if the honey is too thick. Set aside.
- Preheat the grill to medium-low heat.
- Chop the fruit into about 2-inch pieces. Then thread the fruit through your skewers. Transfer onto a baking sheet.
- Place the kabobs on the grill and cook each side for about 2 to 4 minutes, or until grill marks have started to form. Be careful not to burn the fruit. Then drizzle the glaze on top.
Grilled fruit ice cream sundaes
This recipe takes the refreshing element of the grilled fruit to the next level by pairing the grilled fruit with ice cream!
- PAM® Grilling Spray
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large banana, cut in half crosswise and lengthwise in the peel
- 1 large peach, pitted, cut in 4 wedges
- 1 fresh pineapple ring, peeled, cored, about 3/4-inch thick
- 3 large fresh strawberries, tops removed, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream
- Caramel or chocolate syrup, optional
- Chopped nuts, optional
- Reddi-wip® Original Dairy Whipped Topping
- Spray grill grate and 8×8-inch piece of aluminum foil with cooking spray; set aside. Preheat grill for medium-low heat. Stir together melted butter, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Brush banana, peaches, and pineapple with butter mixture. Dip strawberries in balsamic vinegar; roll in remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar, coating both sides. Grill banana, peaches, and pineapple 3 minutes on each side or until grill marks develop. Remove from the grill; set aside and keep warm. Place foil on grill; add strawberries. Grill 2 minutes on each side or until hot and slightly tender.
- Remove peel from banana. Place grilled fruit in sundae cups; top each evenly with ice cream. Drizzle with syrup and top with nuts, if desired. Top each with Reddi-whip before serving.
Grilled Kiwi-Chicken Kabobs with Honey-Chipotle Glaze
This recipe is probably best suited for someone that is more confident in their fruit grilling techniques. However, even if you don’t cook this meal yourself, you shouldn’t ignore it once it’s served!
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 medium kiwifruit, peeled and halved
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- Lime juice, optional
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- Combine garlic, lime juice, oil, and salt. Add chicken and kiwi; turn to coat. Refrigerate, covered, up to 30 minutes.
- Mix honey and chipotle peppers. Drain chicken and kiwi, discarding marinade. On eight metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread chicken and kiwi.
- Grill, covered, on an oiled rack over medium heat, turning occasionally, until juices run clear, 10-12 minutes. During the last 4 minutes, basting frequently with the honey-chipotle mixture.
- Serve with fresh lime juice and rice if desired.