This is a two recipe meal! To start, we are going to make these incredible dinner rolls from scratch! Then, once they are made, we are going to use the second recipe (the chicken enchilada slider recipe) to make those dinner rolls a meal! So, let’s let it roll!
The BEST Dinner Rolls
This dinner roll recipe was intriguing to me as they are titled ”the best” so I knew I had to choose this particular recipe but, you can choose any dinner roll recipe that you wish.
- 4 -5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp rapid rise, instant yeast
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups warm milk, 110 degrees
- 5 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- Combine 3 cups of flour, yeast, sugar, salt, warm milk, butter, and egg in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Attach the dough hook and turn the mixer on to the lowest speed and mix until flour is incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Increase speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup flour and blend with the dough hook until incorporated. And another 1/2 cup flour and repeat, mixing at medium speed for another 2 minutes until a ball of dough is formed.
- Add additional flour as necessary. The dough should be slightly sticky and soft and pull away from the edge of the bowl.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl and cover with a towel or plastic wrap. Let rise for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Remove the towel or plastic wrap and deflate the dough by punching down lightly.
- Pinch off pieces of the dough and form 24 rolls. You can weigh them to keep the rolls close to the same size. Mine were about 2 ounces each but this will vary depending on how much flour you added.
- Transfer the rolls to a lightly greased quarter baking sheet or 9 x 13 baking dish. Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and let rise for an additional 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Bake the rolls for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. If the rolls are getting too brown, just tent the rolls with foil.
- Remove rolls and brush hot rolls with the melted butter. Serve immediately or store cooled rolls in a plastic bag for up to 3 days.
Now that you have your dinner rolls made, what can you do with them? Make sliders of course!
Chicken Enchilada Sliders
The chicken enchilada slider recipe is a delicious way to take dinner rolls from a side to the main event!
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 c. shredded chicken
- 1 (10-oz.) can red enchilada sauce
- 2 tsp. Cholula® Original Hot Sauce, plus more for drizzling
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 slider buns (or the dinner rolls previously discussed)
- 2 1/2 c. shredded cheddar
- 2 c. green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 minutes. Add shredded chicken, enchilada sauce, and Cholula Original. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Place the bottom half of slider buns on a large baking sheet. Top with layers of chicken mixture, cheddar, and green onions. Put on top buns and brush with melted butter.
- Bake until buns are golden and cheese is melty, about 10 minutes.