The one and only dish that I can’t say “no” to even If I have eaten before is “Selso Meso”. But when my father makes it. Yes, it is special, and he always brags about it by saying that it is cooked for 7 hours and eaten in 7 minutes. Well, this is true. This recipe needs love and patient and not just the right ingredients. But because it requires 7 hours to be cooked he makes it when he has a free day. He is the best because he shares his recipe with everyone but when he cooks no one should even stir.
When I go to his place I always hope that there are leftovers or I ask him to make it before I come. I love it when the aroma is spread in the house, and you just can’t eat anything else because you are desperately waiting for 7 hours to be done. But it is all worth it.
Now I make it for my kids and my husband and they enjoy it too. But I feel like everyone should have this recipe and taste just one small but important part of our Macedonian cuisine.
- 2 lb. / 1 kg. Boneless Pork Ribs
- ½ lb. / 200 grams Onion, chopped
- 1lb. / 400 grams Mushrooms
- Vegetable Oil
- Salt and Black pepper to taste
- “Vegeta” Seasoning (optional and if you can find it but it gives an amazing flavor to the meat)
- 1tsp. Red Pepper
- 10 Banana Peppers (sweet)
- 4 Spicy green Peppers
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup Parsley, chopped
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Cheese, grated
1. The first thing that you need to do is cut the meat into squares. Turn on medium-high heat. Drizzle with vegetable oil and fry the meat just for 10 minutes to get a good golden brown color. At this point, you can add “Vegeta” (2-3 minutes before you’re are finished frying) 1 tsp.
2. Now add about 1 cup water, just to cover the meat and close the lid. Lower the heat to a low and let it cook for 3-5 hours checking from time to time to make sure that there is still juice so it doesn’t stick to the bottom.
3. 30 Minutes before the meat is done preheat the oven to 400F/200C, chop the onion and the mushrooms. In a skillet over medium drizzle oil and fry the onion for 10 minutes. Once done transfer it in a plate.
4. In the same skillet add the mushrooms and cook them for 10 minutes, add more oil if needed. Set the skillet aside and add 1 tsp. red pepper and start stirring until well coated.
5. Now add the onion and the mushrooms in the pot with the meat and season with black pepper and salt to taste. Stir. Let it simmer for 10 minutes
6. Transfer it in a baking dish, preferably in a clay baking dish, but if you don’t have you can make it in a regular deep baking dish. Place it in the oven and let it cook for 30min-1 hour. 10 Minutes before it is done baking top with grated cheese.
1. Clean the peppers with a damp cloth and place them directly on the stove. You can do this with gas and electric stove just make sure that if you are using a gas stove that it is turn on to a minimum. Let them cook on all sides and place them in a plastic bag or a plastic container. Close well so that they can be easier to peel. Let them sit for 30 minutes and peel.
2. Separate the spicy and sweet pepper in two different deep plates and drizzle both with olive oil and vinegar. Season with salt.
3. Chop the garlic and parsley. Add them over the peppers and toss (in both sweet and spicy),
4. Serve the “Selsko Meso” with the peppers on the side and enjoy! Don’t forget a nice bread that you can dip in the pepper sauce and the meat sauce too. Trust me, you won’t be able to stop eating.
– It might seem that the dish is too oily but in fact, that is the sauce and what it makes it special. If you want you can place the mushrooms and the onion on a paper towel before adding them in the meat. This is all up to you.
– The longer it takes to make it more flavorful it will be.
– If you can’t find “Vegeta” in your regular store I think you can order it online in the popular online stores. Well, if you really want to taste it. No worries, you won’t be using it just for this dish. It is great for seasoning soups and stews too.
– This recipe serves 4-6 people, depending on the serving size.
Now, just make sure that if you are making it for guests to double the recipes because everyone will be so over it.