Caramelized Onion Naan Pizza With Spinach, Mushrooms, and Goat Cheese
– for the onions
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- One large or two medium yellow onions, sliced in half, then into half rings (about 1/8″-1/4″ thick)
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
– for the spinach and mushrooms
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Sea salt, to taste
- About 2 oz fresh baby spinach
– for the pizza
- 2 pieces of naan
- Olive oil
- 2 oz garlic herb goat cheese, roughly chopped
- Caramelize your onions
- When onions have finished caramelizing, stir in the balsamic vinegar and remove them to a separate bowl.
- Add 2 tsp olive oil to the same pan you used to caramelize the onions, increase heat to medium, and heat briefly until shimmering. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook for four minutes, stirring occasionally, until they start to brown and release their liquid. Add garlic and sea salt and continue sauteing for another minute, then stir in spinach and saute just until wilted.
- Meanwhile: When your onions are almost done caramelizing, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the naan on a baking sheet and brush them with olive oil, then top each with half of the caramelized onion, spinach & mushrooms, and goat cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes, or until cheese and naan are browned. Let pizzas cool for a couple of minutes before slicing.
I didn’t have any tomato paste on hand so I used a four-cheese Hunt’s brand tomato sauce. I also chopped up some fresh parsley leaves for an added freshness flavor. My naan bread pizzas came out really delicious. My one note would be to not overdo it with the sauce or toppings or your bread won’t get crispy. Additional options for the naan bread pizzas include:
- Pepperoni https://cheftini.com/recipe/mini-naan-bread-pepperoni-pizza/
- Margherita https://umamigirl.com/naan-pizza-margherita/
- Steak and cheese with peppers https://www.peanutblossom.com/blog/philly-steak-pizza/#mv-creation-125-jtr
- Hawaiian https://bakingmischief.com/hawaiian-naan-pizza/
- Roasted eggplant and garlic https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/eggplant-flatbread-pizzas/
Or, you can enjoy a barbecue chicken pizza made on naan bread as described below.
Easy BBQ Chicken Naan Pizza (Copycat California Pizza Kitchen Recipe!)
- 2 naan flatbreads
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce any kind will do
- 1 cup cooked shredded or chopped chicken such as rotisserie
- 1/4 cup red onion sliced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and place the oven rack in the lower half of the oven.
- Mix 2-3 tablespoons of the barbecue sauce with the chicken.
- Place the naan on a rimmed baking sheet. Top each naan flatbread with the remaining BBQ sauce, followed by the cheese, chicken and BBQ sauce mixture, and sliced onion.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes in the lower part of the oven, or until cheese is melted and crust is browned.
- Top each pizza with one tablespoon of chopped fresh cilantro.
I have been cooking and baking with little training for a while now and pizza dough has always been a struggle for me to get perfect. So, when you’re in a pinch or maybe your family members each want their own type of pizza made especially as they wish. Naan bread may be a traditional Indian bread but, it serves as an excellent (and budget-friendly) option for personal homemade pizzas! Give it a try for your next pizza night!