All tips, tricks, and recipes included below can be found in The Complete Cookbook for Young Chefs.
More and more parents are bringing their children to the kitchen and showing them the ways of cooking. They are constantly surprised by the skills and instinct that their children have when it comes to food and cooking. This cookbook is designed with help to guide young chefs in the right direction, teach them proper cooking techniques and much more!
Below are some of the best tips, tricks, and recipes found in this cookbook.
Tip#1: cooking requires these steps (in this order)
- Prepare your ingredients: read through the recipe and gather all ingredients that are listed. Set them up in the order in which they will be used in the recipe.
- Gather the required cooking equipment: after reading the recipe, you should have an idea as to which equipment you will need. Gather them together and organize them in order in which they will be used.
- Start cooking the recipe: now you are ready to follow the recipe and turn out the desired result.
Tip#2: Secret step to making perfect French toast
It’s all about the bread! The bread that you choose for French toast should be flavorful (play round with cinnamon raisin, honey wheat, another flavored bread) and hearty. But, most of all, the bread needs to be dry! Before dipping the bread in the egg mixture, be sure to dry the bread out in the toaster. This will ensure that the bread will soak up the egg mixture.
Tip#3: How to roll a wrap
I can personally say that this was a complete game-changer for me!
- Fold up the bottom of the lavash or tortilla over the filling.
- Then fold in the sides of the lavash or tortilla over the filling.
- Working from the bottom up, roll it into a log, ending with the seam side down. Don’t roll too tightly or you will push the filling out of the open end as you roll.
Check it out! Crispy Veggie Burgers
Recipe found on page 90 in The Complete Cookbook for Young Chefs.
- 1 (15 ounces) can chickpeas
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt, plus extra for serving
- 2 teaspoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, measured separately
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Pinch pepper
- ⅓ cup panko bread crumbs
- 3 scallions, sliced thin
- 2 leaves lettuce
- 2 hamburger buns
- Set a colander in the sink.
- Open the can of chickpeas and pour it into the colander.
- Rinse the chickpeas with cold water and shake the colander to drain well.
- Set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, yogurt, 1 tablespoon olive oil, curry powder, salt, and pepper until well combined.
- Set aside. Place the chickpeas, panko, and scallions in a food processor. Lock the lid in place.
- Hold down the pulse button 1 second, then release. Repeat until ingredients are roughly chopped with some large pieces remaining, 5 to 8 pulses.
- Remove the lid and carefully remove the food processor blade (ask an adult for help).
- Transfer the chickpea mixture to the bowl with the egg mixture. Use a rubber spatula to gently stir the ingredients until just combined.
- Use your hands to divide the chickpea mixture into 4 lightly packed balls. Gently flatten each ball into a circle that measures 4 inches across.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to a 12-inch nonstick skillet and swirl the skillet to coat evenly with the oil. Place the patties in the skillet and cook over medium heat until the bottom side is well browned about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Use a spatula to gently flip the patties (ask an adult for help). Cook until the other side is well browned, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Put 1 lettuce leaf inside each bun. Use a spatula to slide the burgers into buns.
- Serve with more yogurt (for dipping or spreading inside buns) if you like. Serves 4
I cannot wait to try this recipe!!!!