Two foods that may make you stop and say ”huh”?
Yes, these are real food options. And they may just be better than you ever imagined!
No-Churn Maple Bacon Ice Cream
Bacon ice cream is definitely at the top of my ”must-try” list of odd desserts. This is something that shouldn’t work and yet, it does! So, here is a recipe so that we can all see just why it works so well!
- 1/2 pound of bacon
- About 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1 pint of heavy cream
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon maple extract
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (good quality)
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Coat both sides of each slice of bacon with the brown sugar. The best strategy is to place the brown sugar on a plate and place the bacon over the top, packing the brown sugar on one side and then flipping.
- Place the coated bacon onto a cooling rack that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Place the cooling rack over an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, until the strips of bacon look caramelized and firm. Keep a close watch on them and make sure they do not burn.
- Let the bacon cool slightly so that it is no longer stick and remove it from the cooling rack. Place on a piece of parchment paper and allow them to continue to cool.
- Whip the cream with a whisk, hand mixer, or KitchenAid with the whisk attachment, until it forms sturdy peaks. Be careful not to whip for too long, otherwise, it will become butter.
- Gently whisk the sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract, and maple extract into the whipped cream until it is completely combined.
- Pour the mixture into a large casserole or baking dish.
- Chop the candied bacon and sprinkle over the top of the ice cream. Freeze for about 6 hours (make sure it is nice and firm).
- Once frozen, drizzle with the maple syrup and serve!
Now, this may not actually be a typical pizza with tomato sauce, pepperoni, and cheese and somehow peanut butter is mixed in with them. But, it is a delicious dessert and definitely one to try during this quarantine!
- 1 pizza dough
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup graham crackers broken into small pieces
- 1 1/4 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1 1/4 cups Reece’s mini peanut butter cups cut in half
- 3 cup mini marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, if using a pizza stone, put the stone in the oven during the preheat.
- Spread dough on the counter or other surface to the desired size, put a little flour on the counter to prevent it from sticking. Once the oven is preheated, carefully take pizza stone out of the oven and transfer the dough onto the hot pizza stone. (if using another type of pizza pan, just skip preheating the pan and you can probably spread dough directly on the pan). With a fork, poke some holes in the dough to prevent it from rising too much. Bake for approximately 10-15 minutes or until beginning to brown.
- Remove from the oven and carefully spread the peanut butter over the cooked pizza dough. Be careful – it will be hot! Sprinkle chocolate chips, graham cracker pieces, and peanut butter cups evenly, then top with mini marshmallows. Make sure marshmallows cover most of the top.
- Put back in the oven for approximately 5 minutes or until marshmallows are browned and the crust is completely cooked and golden brown. You may want to turn the oven to broil for the last minute to get the marshmallows just right. Serve warm