These recipes will seem impossible to make in the air fryer but I assure you no only are they possible, they are delicious!
Air Fried Guacamole
Ingredients for 10 fried guacamole (ping pong size)
- 3 medium ripe avocados
- juice from 1 lime
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- fresh finely chopped cilantro to taste (about 1/3 cup)
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- 8 tablespoons fine almond flour
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- Substitute: unflavored protein powder or protein baking powder; coconut flour; tapioca or arrowroot powder
- 90g (1 1/2 cups) gluten-free panko
- Substitute: regular panko; wheat breadcrumbs
- spray olive oil
- In a bowl, mix and mash the ingredients for the guacamole WITHOUT the almond flour. Once you have the desired taste, add in the almond flour until the guacamole is thick, like brownie batter. Add additional tablespoons of almond flour to the batter as needed to make it thick. Be careful not to add too much lime juice as that will make the guacamole wet and loose. Set the bowl in the freezer to harden for 1 – 2 hours until it has hardened.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or nonstick foil. Use a spoon to scoop out the guacamole and form a ball, about the size of a ping pong ball, with your hands, and place it on the baking tray. Repeat VERY quickly with remaining guacamole. Cover the tray with nonstick foil and place it in the freezer for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Set the air fryer to 390F (199C).
- Beat eggs together in a bowl.
- You MUST work quickly and likely will have to do this in batches. Lightly spray a guacamole ball in olive oil to help them get “sticky,” then dip it in almond flour, then the egg mixture, then panko crumbs. Repeat ONLY until you have enough guacamole balls to fill the air fryer basket (while giving them ample space to breathe), then place the rest of the balls (without coating) back in the freezer.
- Place the coated balls in an air fryer basket, spray them with a little olive oil and cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until the outside is golden brown. If the balls begin to crack, take them out of the air fryer. Allow them to slightly cool before handling since they become more firm as they cool. Repeat steps 5 & 6 for any remaining balls.
Air fried popcorn
Ingredients for 6 cups
Serving size: 1 cup
- 40g (~3 tablespoons) dried corn kernels (I used white corn)
- spray avocado oil
- Substitutes (preferably oils with a high smoke point): coconut oil; safflower oil; peanut oil
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- dried chives
air fried popcorn
- Set the air fryer machine to 390F (199C).
- Add the kernels to the fryer basket and lightly spray with a little avocado/coconut oil. If needed, line the sides of the tray with aluminum foil to prevent popped popcorn from leaving the basket and flying around in the air fryer.
- Insert the basket and set time for 15 minutes. Check on it every 3 to 5 minutes to ensure the kernels are not burning. Once they begin to pop, monitor them closely until the popping sound stops, or until the 15 minutes has expired.
- Remove the basket immediately and dump the contents in a large bowl. Lightly spray with coconut or avocado oil, then dust with garnish to taste.
- Enjoy warm or at room temperature.
Leave your vote