The best French toast
The original recipe is sourced from
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 7 large eggs
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 16 thick slices Challah, Brioche, or Texas Toast
- Whisk milk and eggs together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt. Whisk until smooth.
- Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Soak bread slices in mixture until saturated. Cook bread on each side until golden brown.
- Serve with your favorite toppings. Suggestions include berries, whipped cream, maple syrup, and our famous Liquid Cinnamon Roll Syrup.
- To Freeze: cool french toast completely on a wire rack and then transfer the bread to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. French toast can be stacked with a sheet of parchment paper in between each layer. Freeze until solid, then transfer to a resealable plastic freezer bag for long term storage.
- To Reheat: Microwave on high for about 1 minute per slice until warmed through OR toast in a toaster until heated through for a crispy exterior.
The original recipe is sourced from
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs, separated, room temperature
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 medium peaches, peeled and chopped
- Confectioners’ sugar
- In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks and buttermilk until blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Stir into egg mixture just until moistened. In a small bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff but not dry. With a rubber spatula, gently stir a fourth of the egg whites into the batter. Fold in remaining egg whites.
- Place a greased aebleskiver pan over medium heat. In batches, pour 1 tablespoon batter into each cup. Top with a peach piece and another 1 tablespoon batter. Cook until bubbles on top begin to pop and bottoms are golden brown. Turn; cook until the second side is golden brown. Serve warm with confectioners’ sugar. Freeze option: Freeze cooked pancakes between layers of waxed paper in a freezer container. To use, place pancakes on an ungreased baking sheet, cover with foil and reheat in a preheated 375° oven until heated through, 5-10 minutes. Or, place on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high until heated through, 45-90 seconds.
Test Kitchen Tips
- You can substitute nutmeg and apple slices for the cinnamon and peach slices.
- You can fill the Aebleskivers with small pieces of cheese, cooked vegetables, or cooked meat for a tasty and unique appetizer. Use basil, garlic, onion powder, or your favorite savory spice.
My newest breakfast recipe for 2021
Eggs a la Mama
Recipe created by yours truly!
- 3 eggs (I prefer brown but white will work, as well)
- 3 pieces of 100% whole wheat bread (or bread of your choice)
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- I added my grandma’s sweet chili sauce to the top for that extra special boost of flavor. Unfortunately, that recipe is top secret, for now!
- Use cooking spray to grease a frying pan
- Crack the three eggs into the pan, careful not to break the yolks.
- Place the three pieces of bread into your toaster, do not yet start the toasting process
- Sprinkle the eggs with the desired amount of salt and pepper.
- Add Parmesan cheese and sharp cheddar cheese, evenly to the top of the eggs.
- Using a pan lid, cover the eggs and allow the whites to cook and the cheeses to melt together.
- Start the toasting of the bread.
- Once the bread pops, spread mayonnaise evenly on one side of the toast.
- Once the eggs are done, divide them into three sections, each with a yolk, cooked egg whites, and cheeses. Carefully use a spatial to place each egg section on top of the mayonnaise side of the toast.
- You may add hot sauce, ketchup, or your favorite egg sauce (as I used my grandma’s secret chili sauce) as an additional level of flavor.
- Bacon, crumbled
- Jalapeno slices
- Garlic powder
- Chopped peppers
- And much more!
Leave your vote