Butter is an incredible ingredient. It’s great to bake with, cook with, pan-fry things, spread on toast, and so much more! I know that if it wasn’t going to someday clog my arteries and kill me, I would eat butter on everything all the time! So, here is my chance to celebrate butter from afar.
How is butter made?
Butter is a semi-solid food that is created by churning milk or cream.
Basic Butter Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- Beat the butter, sugar, together until creamy.
- Mix in the salt and vanilla followed by the egg yolk. Stop to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the flour and mix just until incorporated.
- Divide the dough in half and shape each half into a disk. Wrap each half tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 hours, until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line 3 baking sheets with parchment.
- Between 2 pieces of parchment paper, roll 1 piece of dough to 1/8-inch thickness. With floured 2 to 3-inch cookie cutters, cut the dough into as many cookies as possible. Wrap and refrigerate the leftover trimmings.
- Place the cookies 1-inch apart on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle the top of each cookie with turbinado sugar or colored sugar.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until just beginning to turn golden around the edges.
- Cool on the pan for 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Gooey Butter Brownies
For the brownies:
- 1 box brownie mix
- 1 large egg
- 8 tablespoons butter melted
For the topping:
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 8 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 16 ounces powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- To make the brownie base, mix together the dry mix, egg, and melted butter. Spread into a greased 9×13 baking dish.
- To make the topping, beat together the cream cheese, eggs, vanilla, butter, and powdered sugar until well combined. Spread over the brownies.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the center is still slightly jiggly and gooey.
- Cool before cutting and serving.
Perfect Grilled Steak with Herb Butter
- 2, 1lb bone-in strip steaks cut 1-1/2″ thick (or your steak of choice)
- grapeseed or vegetable oil
For the Steak Seasoning:
- 3/4 Tablespoon rock salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
For the Herb Butter:
- Big pinch steak seasoning
- 1 stick salted butter (1/2 cup,) softened to room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon finely minced fresh rosemary
- 1 Tablespoon finely minced fresh thyme
- 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 garlic clove, pressed or minced
- For the Steak Seasoning: Add ingredients to a mortar and pestle then coarsely grind. Alternatively, add ingredients to a heavy-duty Ziplock bag, squeeze all the air out, then crush ingredients with a meat pounder, rolling pin, or heavy-bottomed skillet.
- For the Herb Butter: Add ingredients to a bowl then stir with a fork to combine. Scoop herb butter onto a sheet of plastic wrap then shape into a thick log and refrigerate until firm (if time is of the essence you can freeze for 20-30 minutes.) It can be done ahead of time.
- For the steaks: Trim steaks of any big chunks of fat to avoid flare-ups on the grill then pat dry with a paper towel. Drizzle each side lightly with oil then season generously with the steak seasoning and rub into steaks – you should use most if not all of the seasoning.
- Light 2/3 or 1/2 of your grill burners (2 of 3 burners, or 1 of 2 burners) then heat on high for 10-15 minutes. Add steaks then sear on each side for 1-1/2 minutes (adjust accordingly if your steaks are bigger or smaller than 1lb cut 1-1/2″ thick,) keeping the lid closed when not flipping. Transfer steaks to an unlit portion of the grill then continue cooking for 7-10 minutes with the lid closed for medium, or until they’ve reached your preferred level of doneness. Remove steaks to a platter then let rest for at least 5 minutes. Top with herb butter slices then serve.
Leave your vote