This breakfast idea is almost entirely healthy in my opinion. Sure it has a few slices of bacon, some cheese, and a bit of mayonnaise but overall, I believe it is a relatively healthy breakfast sandwich.
Mama’s Delicious (semi-healthy) breakfast sandwich
Recipe created by yours truly
- Two slices of 15-grain whole grain bread
- Two large eggs (I prefer brown by white eggs work great, too)
- Two tablespoons of mayonnaise for spreading on toast
- One tablespoon of bacon grease for cooking eggs in a frying pan
- Three to four tablespoons of shredded cheese of choice (I used a fiesta blend since we already had it on hand)
- Two or three slices of crispy, cooked bacon (I used regular bacon but turkey bacon would be a healthier option)
- ¼ cup of avocado chunks, salted
- Cook the bacon as instructed on the packaging. Allow grease to drain off on paper towels and set bacon aside
- Use about a tablespoon of the bacon grease in a frying pan. Heat the frying pan over medium heat, add the bacon grease and carefully crack each of the two eggs into the frying pan. Break up the egg whites and the yolks so that the eggs can cook evenly. You can add salt and pepper at this time to the eggs if you desire.
- Allow the eggs to cook before flipping them and cooking on the other side. Once the first side of the eggs is cooked, use a spatula to cut the egg patty in half and flip the two halves. Once the eggs are flipped, carefully pour the avocado chunks onto one the egg halves, add the bacon strips and top with cheese.
- Allow this side of the halves to cook slightly before adding the uncovered egg half to the top of the pile on the other egg half, creating a sandwich of sorts.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover. Allow to cook and melt together.
- In the meantime, toast your bread in the toaster. Once they are toasted, place them onto a plate.
- Turn the stove off and remove the frying pan from heat.
- While the eggs cool, spread the toast with mayonnaise. Use the spatula to carefully lift the eggs from the frying pan and place it on one of the toasted pieces.
- Top with the other piece of toast. Allow the sandwich to rest for about 30 seconds before carefully slicing the sandwich in half.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Whole wheat 15-grain bread
- 130 calories per slice
- 2.5g total fat per slice
- 22g carbohydrates per slice
- 3g of fiber per slice
- 6g protein per slice
- 70 calories per large egg
- 5g total fat per large egg
- 185mg cholesterol per large egg
- 0g carbohydrates per large egg
- 0g fiber per large egg
- 6g protein per large egg
- Estimated 80 calories per ¼ cup
- 8g total fat per ¼ cup
- 4g carbohydrates per ¼ cup
- 3g fiber per ¼ cup
- 1g protein per ¼ cup
- 84 calories per two slices
- 6.4g per two slices
- 18mg cholesterol per two slices
- 384mg per two slices
- .24g carbohydrates per two slices
- 6.06g protein per two slices
- 57 calories per tablespoon
- 5g total fat per tablespoon
- 4mg cholesterol per tablespoon
- 105mg sodium per tablespoon
- 4g carbohydrates per tablespoon
- .13g protein per tablespoon
- 110 calories per ⅓ cup
- 9g total fat per ⅓ cup
- 30mg cholesterol per ⅓ cup
- 220mg sodium per ⅓ cup
- 1g carbohydrates per ⅓ cup
- 7g protein per ⅓ cup
Now that I look at the breakdown, maybe this ”semi-healthy” breakfast sandwich actually is less healthy than I originally anticipated (especially when one sandwich has 531 calories alone).