Berries are a huge benefit to the human body! They offer a near endless list of vitamins and minerals and they are packed with antioxidants! Today we celebrate them and welcome them into our diets!
You can start with a simple berry salad
Berry fruit salad
● 1 pound fresh strawberries
● 8 ounces fresh blueberries
● 4 ounces fresh raspberries
● 4 ounces fresh blackberries
● 2 cups fresh cherries pitted
● zest of 1 small lime
● 1 tablespoon lime juice
● 1 tablespoon honey
- Wash and gently dry berries and cherries; place in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lime zest, lime juice, and honey. Pour over fruit and toss gently to combine.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Fruit salad is best served the day it is made but will still be good on the second day.
You can bake something delicious that serves as both breakfast and dessert!
● 3/4 cup white sugar
● 1/4 cup butter
● 1 egg
● 2 teaspoons lemon zest
● 1 1/2 cups flour
● 2 teaspoons baking powder
● 1/2 teaspoon salt
● 1/2 cup milk
● 1 tablespoon flour
● 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
● 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon butter softened
● 1/4 cup brown sugar
● 1/4 cup white sugar
● 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
● 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8×8 pan.
- In a large bowl, cream sugar, butter, egg & lemon zest until fluffy.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to sugar mixture, alternating with milk mixture just until combined.
- Toss blueberries with 1 tablespoon flour. Fold into batter and spread in the prepared pan.
- Combine all topping ingredients in a small bowl until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
You can even make an irresistible turnover
Easy blackberry turnovers
- 2 Packages (6 ounces each) Driscoll’s Blackberries
- 1/4 cup cane sugar or another sweetener of your choice
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 sheet purchased frozen puff pastry, thawed according to package directions
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 Tbsp. heavy cream or water
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 Tbsp. 2% milk
- PREHEAT oven to 400˚F.
- LINE a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- PLACE 2 packages blackberries into a medium saucepan.
- ADD 1/4 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
- SIMMER mixture over low heat until blackberries begin to soften and release juices, 2-4 minutes.
- ADD 1 tablespoon cornstarch.
- CONTINUE SIMMERING until the sauce has thickened WHILE stirring gently, 1-2 minutes.
- SET ASIDE until cool.
- CUT 1 sheet puff pastry into 6 equal-sized pieces.
- ROLL out pieces to square as necessary.
- FILL half of each square with filling and LEAVE 1-inch space around edges.
- Fold the opposite corner over to form a triangle.
- CRIMP edges together tightly using tines of a fork.
- TRANSFER turnovers to prepare baking sheets.
- PLACE 1 egg yolk into a small bowl.
- ADD 1 tablespoon heavy cream.
- WHISK yolk mixture thoroughly.
- BRUSH turnovers lightly with egg wash.
- BAKE until golden, 12-15 minutes.
- PLACE 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar into a small bowl.
- ADD 1 tablespoon milk.
- WHISK mixture until smooth and ADJUST glaze ingredients if too runny or too thick.
- DRIZZLE glaze over turnovers while still warm.
- SERVE Easy Blackberry Turnover warm.
Of course, if all else fails you could always make yourself an (adult) refreshing treat!
Vodka Strawberry Lemonade Cocktails
Strawberry Simple Syrup:
● 1 cup fresh strawberries
● 1 cup sugar (we used beet sugar)
● 1 cup of water
● 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
● 1 cup of water
● 1 cup vodka
● mint and lemon slices for garnish
● ice cubes
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, water, and strawberries and bring to a simmer until the sugar is dissolved.
- Throw into the jar of a blender and puree until smooth. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a pitcher.
- Add the lemon juice, water, and the vodka to the strawberry simple syrup.
- Fill the glasses completely with ice cubes and add some mint and lemon slices. Pour the cocktails over the ice and serve immediately.