Green Chile Cheeseburger, Biscochitos, Blue Corn Pancakes and New Mexico Piñon Coffee Biscochito Latte Recipe. Here are some examples of New Mexico cuisine
Green Chile Cheeseburger
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 lb. ground beef sirloin (90% lean)
- 3/4 lb. ground beef chuck (80% lean)
- 6 slices American or Cheddar cheese
- 3/4 c. jarred or canned roasted diced green chiles (preferably Hatch), drained
- 6 brioche hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Heat grill on medium-high.
- In a small bowl, combine garlic powder, onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a large bowl, gently combine sirloin and chuck and form into 6 (4-inch-wide) patties. Sprinkle both sides with salt mixture.
- Grill burgers 3 minutes; turn over. Top each with a slice of cheese. Cover and cook for 3 minutes or until desired doneness and cheese has melted. Top each with 2 tablespoons green chiles. Serve on buns.
- 6 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound lard (a must, no substitutes)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons anise seed
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sweet table wine
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt. Cream the lard with sugar and anise seed on medium speed. In a separate bowl. beat eggs until light and fluffy. Add beaten eggs to the creamed mixture. Mix together well, adding wine to form a stiff-like dough, add more wine, if necessary.
- Refrigerate dough overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator and let it stand for a while, until the dough is soft enough to roll. Divide dough into quarters and roll to about 1/16 to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut with a cookie cutter and place on a cookie sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until the bottom of the cookie is golden brown. Meanwhile, mix together the sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Drop the baked cookies into sugar and cinnamon mixture and set aside to cool.
Blue Corn Pancakes
- 3/4 cup Blue Corn Masa
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- maple syrup
- toasted pine nuts optional
- In a medium bowl, combine blue corn masa, sugar, and salt and stir. Add in boiling water and mix well. Cover with a towel and let sit for 5 – 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine egg, milk, and melted butter, stirring well until fully incorporated. Add to masa mix and stir.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Slowly add to masa mix, and stir until just incorporated. Add more milk if the batter is too thick.
- Add a tablespoon of butter to a large pan over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of batter for each pancake. Cook until the sides of the pancakes are covered with bubbles, then flip and repeat until the other side is golden brown.
- Note: these pancakes take a little longer to cook than regular pancakes, so cook an additional 30 seconds if necessary.
- Serve with maple syrup and toasted pinon nuts, if desired.
New Mexico Piñon Coffee Biscochito Latte Recipe
- ½ Cup New Mexico Piñon Coffee Cold Brew Concentrate
- 1-2 Biscochito Cookies (more for garnishing)
- ½ Cup Almond Milk (Oat Milk, Regular milk, etc)
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Tablespoon of Honey
- 1/8 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Optional Ice
- In a blender add in 1 to 2 crushed biscochito cookies, New Mexico Piñon Coffee Cold Brew Concentrate, Almond Milk, Water, and Honey
- Blend until smooth and cookies are dissolved, about 2 minutes
- Pour into an 8oz glass
- Sprinkle cinnamon on top and enjoy!