Baked goods with nuts! Is there anything better than a nutty dessert to end a long day of quarantine? I think not! So, let’s enjoy our uncertain times with the help of some delicious nutty baked goods!
Nutty Chocolate Brownies
● ⅔ cup almond meal
● 3 Tbsp cocoa powder, I use Dutch-process cocoa powder
● 100g coconut oil, room temperature
● 115g dark cooking chocolate
● ¾ cup coconut sugar
● 3 eggs, lightly whisked
● 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
● ½ cup mixed nuts of pecans, cashews, and almonds, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (356ºF) and line a 9” x 9” square baking pan with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the almond meal and cocoa, mix well and set aside.
- In a double boiler over low-medium heat, melt coconut oil and chocolate together until smooth and shiny, stirring occasionally.
- Once completely melted, remove from heat and whisk through sugar, mixing until it’s well blended and beginning to dissolve.
- Set chocolate mixture aside to cool slightly before adding eggs, approx. 10-15 mins.
- Stir through vanilla.
- Pour in lightly whisked eggs, whisking until well combined.
- Add almond and cocoa mixture into chocolate mixture, gently folding until just combined, do not over mix.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Sprinkle over chopped mixed nuts.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until brownie springs back when touched or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove and cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut into squares and serve.
Salted Caramel Mixed Nut Pie
Easiest Ever Pastry Dough
● 1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
● 1 tbsp. sugar
● 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
● 1/2 c. cold unsalted butter cut up (1 stick)
● 1 tbsp. distilled white vinegar
● 1 tbsp. ice-cold water, plus 1 to 2 teaspoon if necessary
Sweet and Salted Caramel Nut Pie
● 4 c. mixed pecans, walnuts and hazelnuts, toasted
● 1 1/2 c. sugar
● 1/2 c. water
● 3 tbsp. light corn syrup
● 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
● 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
● 1 c. heavy cream
● Flaked sea salt, for serving
Make Pie: On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 13-inch circle. Fit dough into the bottom and up the side of a 9-inch pie plate. If necessary, trim dough so the overhang is even (about 1⁄2 inch from the edge of the rim). Fold overhang under itself and crimp as desired. Refrigerate until firm, at least 20 minutes.
Heat oven to 375°F. Press large piece nonstick foil into the dough in a pie plate and fill with pie weights. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove foil and continue baking until the pastry feels sandy and just starts to turn golden, 5 to 10 minutes more. Transfer to the cooling rack; place nuts in the crust. Reduce heat to 350°F.
Place sugar, water and corn syrup in a heavy-bottomed medium saucepan. Without stirring, cook on medium-high until bubbles begin to form at edges, about 1 minute; swirl pan. Bring to a simmer, then increase heat to high and boil, swirling pan occasionally until mixture is a rich caramel color, 6 to 10 minutes. Immediately remove from heat, add butter and salt and swirl the pan to melt.
Return pan to medium, add cream (it will bubble up) and whisk until smooth, slightly thickened and deep amber color, about 1 minute. Pour caramel over nuts; transfer the pie to the oven. Bake until gently bubbling, 10 to 15 minutes.
Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Sprinkle with flaked sea salt if desired.