During these uncertain times, some foods are becoming difficult to find. Some things we do not need as much as we may want them. And there are some things that are considered needs or kitchen staples. Here are some example recipes to help you make these staples at home.
How To Make Self-Rising Flour
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Large bowl
- Measure ingredients: Measure the flour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the leavening: Add the baking powder and salt.
- Combine: Whisk to combine.
- Storage: Use or store in an airtight container.
How to Make Brown Sugar
Light Brown sugar
- 1 Cup (8 oz/240g) white sugar
- 1 teaspoons molasses (treacle)
Dark Brown sugar
- 1 Cup (8 oz/240g) white sugar
- 2 teaspoons molasses (treacle)
- Combine sugar and molasses in a mixing bowl. Using your fingertips rub in the molasses until the molasses is completely incorporated and the sugar turns brown.
- Store in an air-tight container for months. Because of the moisture, brown sugar has a tendency to clump together, to prevent this add a slice of white bread in the container and that will keep the sugar dry and fine.
- 10 slices whole-wheat bread, or your favorite bread
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C).
- Using tongs, place bread slices directly on oven racks. Leave in the oven until hard and golden brown, about 30 minutes; darker if you prefer. Remove and cool on the wire rack.
- Crumble slices into a large bowl until reduced to fine crumbs, or place in a bowl of food processor and process until fine.
Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe (IN 1 MINUTE!)
- 1 whole egg
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup avocado oil, or light-flavored olive oil
- Add all of the ingredients (with the oil last) into the jar that came with your stick blender.
- Give the ingredients a minute to settle, with the oil separating on top.
- Place your stick blender in the jar and press it firmly to the bottom. Turn it on and keep it pressed against the bottom of the jar for at least 10-15 seconds. Once the mayonnaise starts to emulsify and thicken, slowly move the stick blender up and down to fully combine the ingredients.
- Once it’s all blended, remove the stick blender. Give it a few stirs with a spoon and place in a storage container in the refrigerator. It will stay fresh for up to one week.
SOS Mix is a base recipe for making soups and sauces, especially the ”cream of” soups.
- 2 cups dry milk nonfat
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup instant chicken bouillon
- 2 tbsp dried onion flakes
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning optional
- Stir all ingredients together and store in an airtight container.
Homemade Pancake Syrup
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp Mapleine or other imitation maple flavoring
- Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan on the stove.
- Add both types of sugar and the Mapleine, and stir until all the sugar has completely dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Let it cool until it reaches your desired consistency. Pour the syrup into a syrup carafe or dispenser, and store any extra syrup in an airtight container.