Are your kids getting ready to return to the classroom? Are they going to be attending virtually but, maybe you have to return to work? Or, if your family is like mine then the student in your house might be yourself or your spouse. No matter who the student might be or where they might be studying, it can be tough to make sure dinner is easy and on the table each night. Here are some simple back to school dinners that your family will love, and you will love to make!
Pan-Seared Chicken Breast Recipe with Mustard Cream Sauce (low carb and gluten-free)
- 4 large Chicken breast
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- 2 tbsp Olive oil (divided)
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1/2 cup Chicken broth
- 2/3 cup Heavy cream (or coconut cream for paleo or whole 30)
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Season the chicken breasts on both sides with sea salt and black pepper.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and saute for 4-5 minutes on each side, until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the pan, along with the garlic. Saute for about 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the chicken broth. Stir to remove any bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Simmer for a few minutes, until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Add the cream and thyme. (See notes for a sweeter sauce.) Return to a gentle simmer. Gently simmer again for a couple of minutes, continuing to scrape any pieces from the bottom, just until the sauce thickens (it will reduce in volume). Stir in the mustard at the end and turn off the heat.
- To serve, pour the sauce over the chicken, or transfer the chicken back to the pan and cover in sauce.
Easy Rosemary Garlic Beef Skewers
- 1 lb extra-lean chuck beef, cut into precise 3/4″ cubes (or close to it!)
- a few pinches of salt & pepper
- 6 tbsps full-fat greek yogurt
- 3 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsps crushed or minced garlic
- 4 sprigs rosemary, leaves removed
- bamboo skewers for grilling
- Soak the bamboo skewers in warm water until needed.
- Place the beef in a mixing bowl, then generously coat with salt and pepper. In another mixing bowl, combine the greek yogurt, olive oil, garlic, and rosemary, whisking until smooth. Add 2 – 3 tablespoons of the yogurt mixture to the beef, stirring to evenly coat. Let it marinate for at least 15 minutes or up to 1 hour.
- Preheat your outdoor grill to high heat.
- When ready, tightly thread the beef along with the bamboo skewers so that the meat touches and there’s an even amount of skewer exposed on both ends. Grill for 2-3 minutes on either side until seared and cooked to a medium-rare finish, then immediately plate and serve! Pair with the remaining yogurt marinade for dipping.
Buffalo Shrimp Tacos
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails removed
- ½ cup buffalo sauce, + more for drizzling over tacos
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- ½ cup carrots, shredded
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- ½ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 small tortillas, corn or flour
- ¼ cup blue cheese dressing
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Toss the shrimp with the ½ cup buffalo sauce, saute in a large skillet over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, or grill over medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss the shredded lettuce, carrots, celery, and red onion together.
- Heat the tortillas in a dry skillet for 20-30 seconds, or in the oven set to 350°F for 1-2 minutes.
- Spoon some veggies into the tortillas, then top with the shrimp, drizzle with the blue cheese dressing and extra buffalo sauce, then sprinkle with the cilantro.