As the Thanksgiving holiday approaches and autumn is a ton us, we are switching our cooking styles from grilling burgers and hot dogs to comfort food recipes that warm the soul! The following recipes are perfect for this chilly time of year and are sure to be popular with your guests!
Starting with a main dish that is great for autumn gatherings, this is a chicken and vegetable meal made on the same pan. It’s easy to make and full of flavor!
One Pan Autumn Chicken Dinner (thanks to www.cookingclassy.com)
- 5 (6 – 7 oz) bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbsp)
- 1 Tbsp each minced fresh thyme, sage and rosemary
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large sweet potato (about 16 oz) (I leave unpeeled), chopped into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts, sliced into halves
- 2 medium fuji apples, cored and sliced into half-moons about 3/4-inch thick
- 2 shallot bulbs, peeled and sliced about 1/4-inch thick
- 4 slices hickory smoked bacon, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Pour 2 Tbsp olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic and herbs into a gallon-size resealable bag. Add chicken, season with salt and pepper then seal bag and massage mixture over chicken while working to evenly distribute herbs. Set aside and let rest while chopping veggies. Place sweet potato, Brussels sprouts, apples and shallot on an 18 by 13-inch rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil then toss to evenly coat, season with salt and pepper to taste. Spread into an even layer. Set chicken thighs over veggie/apple layer.
Separate any pieces of bacon that may be stuck together then sprinkle bacon over veggie apple mixture. Roast in preheated oven until chicken and veggies are golden brown, about 30 – 35 minutes (chicken should register 165 in center). Broil during last few minutes for a more golden brown crispy skin on chicken if desired. Garnish with parsley if desired and serve warm.
While the main dish includes various vegetables, you may still want to include a salad to share with your gathering of friends and family. The following recipe is a fresh and flavorful salad with a homemade dressing to top it off!
Autumn chopped salad with creamy poppy seed dressing (homemade) (thanks to www.therecipecritic.com)
- 4 cups romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 Barlett pear diced
- 1 red apple diced (I used gala)
- 5 thick-sliced bacon cooked and chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup pecans chopped
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
In a large bowl combine romaine, pear, apple, bacon, cranberries, pecans, and feta cheese. Toss.
To make the creamy poppyseed dressing:
Whisk together mayonnaise, milk, sugar, cider vinegar, and poppyseeds. Add desired amount to salad and toss.
Now, on to dessert! This recipe combines a variety of flavors of Fall into the form of a cupcake. Delectable, sweet, and oh so satisfying!
Apple Pie Cupcakes with Cinnamon Buttercream (thanks to www.tasteofhome.com)
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 medium tart apples, peeled and finely chopped (about 4 cups)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Thinly sliced apples, optional
Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions for cupcakes.
In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add apples and brown sugar; cook and stir until apples are tender, 10-12 minutes. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat; cool completely.
Using a paring knife, cut a 1-in.-wide cone-shaped piece from the top of each cupcake; discard removed portion. Fill cavity with apple mixture.
In a large bowl, combine all frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. Frost cupcakes. If desired, top with apple slices to serve.